The Parish Church of Sant Martí d'Empúries is located in the old town area, right in the middle of the main square, and was built over the ruins of the moat of the mediaeval castle.
It is a late-Gothic building which began being builtin 1507 (as indicated by one of the stones on the facade) and was completed in around 1538. There had been a Romanesque church there previously, but it is not known if it was on this site. It consists of a single nave, on the facade there is a rose window and a pointed-arched door with very well-worn embellishments.
Above the door there are commemorative stones from the 10th, 13th and 16th centuries corresponding to the different works made in the old and new churches. Among the ashlar stones on the facing there are numerous fragments of Greco-Roman ceramics. Inside there are fine keystones, several early Paleo-Christian stones and a Romanesque font. It is protected as a
cultural asset of local interest.